- On February 23, 2015
Valentines day has passed in a puff of fragranced roses and half eaten chocolates, you may not have that ring on your finger yet, but you may have been asked the equally magic words? Will you move in with me? For many this is the run up to the sashay down that Church aisle, wedding lists and sumptuous Caribbean honeymoons.
Like most modern people we’ve all got our own place, we live very independent lives, not many still live with their parents and moving just involves a box of CDs and a suitcase. We’re in a modern age, so undoubtedly have separate homes with an equal amount of stuff. Moving in together is a trial, and should be treated as such, dating is us on our best behaviour, with well pressed clothes, romantic meals at each other homes, when you’ve spend 6-8 hours tidying the house and cooking a meal that will take 10 minutes to eat. When you’re living together you may have one party who excavates like Time Team for the clothes in the morning, and the cooker is normally used to store the last pair of shoes bought.
So rather than ditch, donate and sell your stuff, store and archive it,
The top five tips are
5. Chose your new home carefully, who lives closer to amenities, work, transport? Is parking a problem? Your beau may have a wonderful home, but will an extra 2 hour commute every work day make them even more romantic and alluring when they come home grumpy an exhausted.
4. Having two of everything is great when it’s two salaries, but when it’s two dining tables, two sofa sets, televisions, toasters etc it gets tiresome. Moving in together is a bit of compromise, together work out what one item is better in the space, put the other item into Storage World Self Storage, it’s a safety measure. If after a year things are marvellous and wedding bells are chiming then decide to donate, dispose or sell the items. The cost of self storage for a year is far less than the cost of replacing those key household items.
3. If you’re both renting and aren’t particularly attached to your home, you could start scratch somewhere new. Renting means you normally get what’s available, if it’s furnished then you’re stuck with it, unless you Storage World Self Storage those items along with the duplicates while you get the relationship bedded into a new level.
2. If, like many professional couples you own your own homes, then renting one out will be the preferable option. Once you’ve chosen the best property, it would be wise to de-clutter and put the precious larger items into storage. The trend for minimally furnished properties appeal to tenants now a days. So Storage World those expensive items. Ultimately if things go well with your relationship you could be selling both houses for a joint larger property.
1. As recommended on Mumsnet.com communication is key, discuss everything, and think about the long term plan for the relationship. Does the black ash entertainment system wall unit really cause that much agro, relationships are about compromise and getting a common ground to work from. If the relationship is going to work, being adaptable to each others possessions and treasures are the first step on getting on. Finally, get a cleaner, if the domestic drudgery is sorted out, then those niggles of untidiness will be ironed out.