When it comes to creating a welcoming and relaxing environment, furniture can make all the difference. From a beautiful bedframe to a striking dinner table or a cosy couch you can’t wait to sink into after a long day, the furniture you select should serve a specific function and set the tone of your home.
However, there are instances when you may need a temporary home for your beautiful pieces. Whether you are downsizing, preparing to relocate or undergoing a home renovation project, you always want to ensure that your furniture does not suffer unnecessary damage. At Storage World, we have all the space you could ever need for short or long-term household furniture storage.
How much does furniture storage cost?
A self storage unit is a much safer alternative to storing your valuable furniture pieces in a potentially leaky and dusty garage where they can sustain damage. But how much does it cost to put furniture in storage?
To help set the record straight, we look at the main factors that determine how much furniture storage in Manchester costs.
Self storage pricing guideline
With our transparent and upfront self storage pricing, you will never have to worry about the threat of hidden fees. Available for short-term or long-term rentals, the cost of our high-quality, dry, clean, and secure units is determined by the following factors:
- The size of the self storage unit selected
- The floor your chosen unit is on (e.g. ground floor or first)
- Availability of units
- The length of time you will require the unit
|Unit size||Perfect solution for||From price|
|10 – 25 sq ft||Decorations, armchair, single mattress||£10.00 – £21.00|
|35 sq ft||Dining room table, chairs, garden furniture, bicycles||£25.00|
|50 sq ft||Queen size bed, dresser, office desks, cabinets||£32.50|
|75 sq ft||Appliances, dining room tables, chairs, inventory||£42.50|
|100 sq ft||Sofa set, garden furniture, bicycles, sports equipment||£52.50|
To help you make an informed decision regarding your furniture storage needs, please consult our size guide or speak to our friendly staff about your needs. We’re here to help!
How to prep your furniture for self storage?
When you’re ready to store your belongings for a short or extended period of time, it’s important that they come out in the same condition as when stored. While a clean and dry self storage facility is a must, there are various ways you can prep your furniture before storing them to avoid costly repairs or replacements down the line!
Below we unpack the top ways to prep your furniture before, during and after self storage.
- The trick to managing pests before storage is to thoroughly clean each piece of furniture. Not only will removing packed dust and dirt help avoid permanent damage, but it’s the easiest method for pest control.
- Gently wipe down wood furniture with suitable wood cleaning products and a damp cloth. Allow that to dry fully before applying a coat of furniture polish to seal it and prevent the wood from drying out.
- Prep leather furniture by vacuuming dirt and debris, and wipe all upholstery with leather cleaning products. Once fully dry, apply a final coat of leather protectant.
- Thoroughly polish all metal parts of your furniture to remove accumulated oxidation.
- Ensure that every piece of furniture is completely dry before covering and packing. Even the slightest amount of remaining moisture can lead to mould and mildew over time.
The cleaning process should begin at least 24 hours before you plan on wrapping the furniture to allow every item to dry thoroughly.
- Disassemble large pieces if possible to make transporting, packing and storing easier.
- Wrap furniture items for pest control and to protect them from dust. You can use old linens, including towels, sheets and blankets, or invest in fabric furniture covers from our Box Shop.
- Use linens, clothes and bubble wrap to create an extra level of protection for protruding furniture legs, arms or ornaments to prevent scratching.
- NEVER place bubble wrap directly over wood or leather as it can lead to condensation, mould and mildew.
- Pad glass elements, such as doors or shelves, with old linens or thick cardboard cut-outs and secure with a final layer of bubble wrap. You can never be too careful when protecting glass.
- Do not place packing tape directly onto any furniture. The adhesive can cause permanent damage or staining.
- A small amount of dust build-up is natural if your items have been in storage long-term. To start, wipe down all wood and leather furniture with a clean and slightly damp microfiber cloth – don’t forget about the corners and crevices.
- Once any packed dust has been removed, wipe down items with your wood and leather products of choice and allow to dry completely.
- Finish off with a light coat of wood polish or leather protector, and voila!
When you need quality packaging supplies, we’ve got you covered. Visit our convenient box shop for your packaging supply needs, from tape and bubble wrap to mattress and fabric furniture covers. Whatever your prepping needs, Storage World has it.
How to move your furniture to storage
You have selected your storage unit and prepped your furniture like a pro. Now what?
While you may have the option of relying on friends or family to help transport your furniture into self storage, this is not always the best solution. Depending on the quantity, shape and weight of your furniture, your family or friends may not have the knowledge, vehicle or equipment necessary to move your items safely into storage. This can quickly result in permanent damage to your valuable (or priceless!) items.
At Storage World, we have years of experience helping our customers get settled and offer a reliable removals service to get your belongings from your home or office into your unit hassle-free.
Available at each of our facilities, our Man and Van operators provide:
- Professional movers with years of experience
- Necessary equipment and sizable vehicles to safely move your items into storage
- Quick and easy removals without you having to lift a finger
- Budget-friendly moving solutions
- An experienced driver familiar with the area
- Guaranteed 5-star service
Whether you are moving house, moving office or undergoing a renovation, our moving professionals will collect your items at your location, deliver them to your secure self storage unit, and help you get settled.
To keep your items in tip-top condition, Storage World offers a convenient box shop with every packaging item necessary to protect your belongings, including storage boxes, furniture covers, packing tape and more.
With our guidance, you’ll be ready to add ‘furniture removal and storage specialist’ to the resume!
Best ways to stack your furniture in a storage unit
With our top-quality, clean and dry units at the ready and our professional removals service booked and on standby, all that’s left is to stack your furniture in the most space-efficient way possible.
How to stack furniture
Effectively stacking your furniture is like playing a high-stakes game of Tetris. You need to visualise how the various shapes of your items can fit together, taking up the minimum amount of space while creating support for the next piece.
To ensure you make the most of your self storage unit when storing furniture, follow these top tips:
- Avoid putting furniture directly on the floor or against the walls.
- Use pallets or cinder blocks to raise the floor and add an extra layer of protection against any freak flooding. Even a layer of cardboard or old linens can work in a pinch.
- Use large pieces like dressers, cabinets or bookcases to nest smaller items.
- Never place heavy items on couch cushions as it can permanently affect the shape.
- Always flip tables upside down and stack dining and armchairs.
- Avoid packing furniture too closely together as they need to breathe.
- Store large items at the back of the unit and secure them to avoid falling or moving.
- Store medium-sized items, such as chairs, on the sides of the unit.
- Stack smaller boxes and items front and centre.
- Ensure that you create aisles to access the back and sides of your unit.
No matter your furniture storage requirements, Storage World’s top-quality facilities are fully equipped to meet your needs. From our fully-stocked box shop to our removals services and excellent on-site staff to guide you, Storage World is your answer to a stress-free storage experience.
Get in touch
Call us today for a free no obligation quote. We can also provide you with guidance as to the size of unit you will likely require depending on the items you wish to store.