- On March 5, 2015
The lowly domestic garage is entering a renaissance. It’s become less a place to park the beloved car now-a-days, cars have got bigger and the garage hasn’t particularly grown with the size of the family vehicle.
Things that don’t store well in a garage
– Electronics – the temperature variations and dampness is never a healthy place for these sort of things to thrive
– Paper work – the same as above, when dampness enters papers then a musty and unsavoury aroma pretty makes them as popular as a red wine stain on a white bridal gown
– Anything of sentimental value – if you really cared about it would it really be left in such a damp, cold and dark place?
The on trend is to transform the garage into a useful and useable space, new properties today are 80% the size of properties from 20 years ago, so that 120 sqft space could be far better utilised. The top five uses are
1. Home Office, people work from home more and more, having your work space separate from your home space is essential for a work life balance. If you work from a dining table or a desk in the living room work is going to step into your down time, which is not a good situation.
2. Home Gym, when you do actually get there you may be paying gym fees for £50-80 per month each, when you mainly going on just a few pieces of equipment. The convenience of having it on the doorstop is far more appealing. As is the saving of £600-£1000 a year.
3. Play room for the children. Having an adult space and a children’s space where the endless cartoons can play on a loop gives parents a break and a place where all the havoc of toys can be centralised. When the children get older it could be a teenage den or a music room for the next Nirvana band from Openshaw.
4. Granny Annex or additional bedroom. The house prices are going through the roof, to buy a house with a bigger bedroom costs many household an additional £100,000 plus buying and selling costs. Maximising the space you have is a far more efficient use of your savings and time.
5. Craft room/Workshop. Home hobby fans sometimes need space away from the house where you can make a bit of a mess with glue and glitter or wood and nails, a garage space is an ideal proportion for this new on trend past time.
Where does all this garage stuff go?
This is where Storage World comes into action, those items to important to donate, ditch or sell can be stored away. However the rule of thumb is “if you’ve not used it for a year, it’s unlikely you’re ever going to use it.” So once a year has elapsed it may be time to finally let go. Alternatively the lifestyle choice of self storage makes far more sense, is it time you made your garage cool?